Background

Friday, October 23, 2009

Ivan turns 2!

Our little guy turns 2 today! I wanted to say how time flies, but come to think of it, sometimes 1 day felt like 1 week....

2 years ago this day, my water broke at around 6am. We were really happy that finally it was time! Ivan was overdue for 2 weeks, and after daddy threatened to charge him "rental" for the tummy, he finally felt that it was time to start his journey. We called the delivery ward to ask for advice and were told to come in at 1pm, unless contraction came very frequently, then we have to go in immediately. So there I was sitting on the sofa, changing towel after towel - no contraction. So we went in at 1pm, unsure if Ivan would really make his appearance that day.

After strapping me onto the contraction monitoring machine, my contraction started! The midwife checked and informed that I was about 8cm open (for guys reading this - you need to be fully dilated at 10cm to be able to push the baby out, yeah - OUCH!), so she asked us to walk around which will speed up the dilating process. We decided to re-park our car at the carpark which is about 10mins walk and we barely made it to the door of the delivery ward when my contraction came really intensely and at an interval of 5 mins between. So we walked back again (I was almost crawling!) and called for the midwife and after checking, she happily informed that now the process begin!


Breathe innnnn...... breathe outttttttt...... I was really pushing and trying to focus on meeting our new baby instead of the tearing pain in my tummy. All this time, hubby was chatting happily with the midwife and her assistant about Wii and how popular it was..... After several pushes, the midwife said that she could see Ivan's head! I was motivated and after 2 more pushes, Ivan's head was out! "Are you ok?" asked the midwife. I turned my head, thinking that she was asking me. But she was asking hubby, because he had a funny look in his face. "Are you ok baby?" I asked, with Ivan's head still sticking out. "Huh, I'm fine." Hubby replied. (Later I found out that since this is the first time he saw a real birth, he didn't know that a baby looks so weird when it first came out.....) Finally, the midwife said, 1 more push and he would be out! She asked me to take a break and gather all my strength for the final push. Immediately after she said that, I had the weirdest feeling in the world, it felt like my tummy is filled up again! At the same time, I heard everyone else who were looking "down there" said, "Huh??" Ivan went back in!!!!! I wanted to just go home at that moment! After all the pushing!!! "Is this normal?!" asked hubby. The midwife joked that maybe Ivan is too comfy inside and it is not so common that the baby decided to go "home" like that. She encouraged me to gather all my strength and push really really hard. And finally at 18.40hr, Ivan was out....

Oh, he was screaming once he got out! Not so happy to be evicted, I guess. Weighing 3950g and 53cm long, he was a healthy and strong baby. We stayed 1 night in the hospital and went home to Jovan, Angel and my mother-in-law, who were really eager to meet the new member.

I was very worried about having a baby without my mom with me. She helped me with Jovan and Angel, and now I was left on my own. (Although I have my sweet hubby who is always ready to help, but this is his first time experiencing a small baby!) Ivan was suffering from colic in the first 2 months, so he was crying mostly at night. Hubby and I had to work in shifts, so that we can both get some sleep. He worked the night shift, while I worked the day shift. It was not fun but we managed to stay sane. We learnt how to take care of a small baby, one tiny step at a time.

Looking back now, I think we have both done a good job, so far. Ivan is now a healthy, active, playful, cheeky, sweet and very affectionate toddler. 2 years old is not really a milestone yet, but we tried our best to make it a special day for him. Here are some photos to share:

Birthday boy starting his birthday with a good breakfast.

Card from grandpa.

Drawing from Jovan.



Card from Angel.



It says, "Congrats on your birthday, Ivan. Congrats" from Angel.

I was trying to create some party mood!

It is hard to take a good picture of this guy....

This is the cake I baked for him, with his favorite cartoon character, Rorri - the racing car. It looks horrible but Ivan loves it!

Candy cars used as decoration, I'm so lousy in decoration! I had to make those "racing" flags because I can't pipe properly!

He was too fast in blowing the candle! Puff! And mommy missed it!

Totally focused in cutting the cake, with daddy's help of course!

He was very interested in playing with the small Rorri which I put on his cake, after some coaxing from Jovan and Angel, he finally turned his attention to his real present.

It's the talking Rorri!
After 5 mins of "Turn left" "Turn right", hubby and I started to regret our choice...

He really enjoys the cake! I'm happy!

Happy Birthday sweet baby! Mommy hopes that you will continue to stay happy and healthy!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo ! mama Sylvia for the nicely decorated cake. Still a good job on Ivan birthday cake, it's so so special. Happy 2 !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yin Yin! Paiseh about the deco lah, can't even frost it properly *shake head*. Need to practice more before hubby's birthday in Dec... he shares the same birthday as Briana! ^_^

    ReplyDelete