Background

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mom's First Visit to Sweden!

After much persuasion and time spent talking to my mom to get her to visit me, she finally agreed and that was only because my brother and Bee Keng are coming over as well, which is fantastic as I don't have to worry about her travelling alone.

A couple of weeks before her first long flight to the other part of the world, she started nagging and complaining about why we have to live so far away, why can't we stay somewhere close like Australia or Hong Kong (which doesn't make any sense at all because the reason why we moved is because of Lars's business, otherwise we can just remain happily in Singapore!).

A week ago, there was a big disaster which involves an Air France plane and all 228 onboard passengers were speculated to be dead. I decided not to call my mom since I know she'll probably want to nag, complain and bring up this topic which I really don't want to discuss before her flight.

Finally the day arrive! 7 June 2009, Sunday at 11.45am, the family drove to Linköping airport. I have had problem sleeping the night before. My brain was just going overdrive! What if they don't like it here? What if they are disappointed? Is my apartment clean enough? I have been walking around the apartment for weeks behaving like a health inspector sent from Ministry of Health, trying to see if there are any places I need to clean or fingerprints or dirt which I need to wipe. Mom's visit is like a graduation ceremony for me. I want to show her that I'm capable of taking care of my own family and that they're fed well and are not living in a pigs' den. Hubby said that I don't have to prove anything to her, that I should just relax and enjoy her company here. I do understand that but I just can't shake off the anxiety inside. As we were driving there, hubby asked if I'm feeling nervous. Surprisingly, I don't. I was calm and filled with anticipation.

Finally they are here!

No comments:

Post a Comment