Background

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mom's Visit: Day 1 to Day 4

Day 1

When we got home from the airport, I showed them around our small (but cozy) apartment, told them where things are and briefed them about sleeping arrangement. They seemed to be quite alright with accommodation, which is a big relief for me! Then we spent sometime talking and trying to catch up on the latest happening back home in Singapore with relatives.

For dinner, I made chicken chop with mushroom sauce, which everybody seemed to enjoy as well. Mom, Louis and Bee Keng were tired after the long flight, but were having problem trying to sleep. They managed to rest eventually.

Day 2

Everybody woke up really early at 4 something, 5am! I guess it was the time difference and also since it's summer now, the sun sets late and rises early, so they're not so used to it yet. Lars left for Finland today at around 4.30am to attend a negotiation course and will be back tomorrow night. We went for a walk (about 10 mins) to the supermarket nearby to buy some groceries and apples for my mom. On the way back, it started to drizzle a little and it was pretty windy too. Mom, Louis and Bee Keng started to feel cold, so we sped up and managed to reach home before the rain started pouring down, phew! we are lucky!

I made spaghetti and minced meat and tomato sauce for dinner. Mom had problem finishing her dinner, she doesn't like the texture of the spaghetti, she thought that it was too hard, but I cooked it al dente!!! I asked if she wanted me to cook some noodle instead but she said that it's alright, she is just not used to the the texture of spaghetti. Louis had been walking around the apartment today saying that it was cold. He had on a pair of shorts, the kind issued by the Singapore Army, made of breathable and light fabric. So I asked if he brought any jogging pants with him and he said no. "You said it's summer mah!" Hmm.....ok lor... The weather at the beginning of summer is usually quite unpredictable, but I guess I forgot to mention this to them... ^o^

Day 3

Louis and Bee Keng are going to Norway for 8 days. So we woke up early and I walked them to the bus stop to take a bus to the train station, where they will take the train to Stockholm airport to take the plane to Norway. When we were crossing the road to the bus stop, I reminded them to look left first before checking right, since Sweden is driving on the opposite side of the road from Singapore. And while we were waiting at the bus stop, my brother suddenly said,"The bus is here." "Where?" I said. And I turned my head, there was a bus coming from the opposite side. "Well, you can try to flag it down but I don't think it's gonna stop." "Oh yeah! We're on the opposite side of the road! Wah this is so confusing leh! I'm not sure I can drive here!" Well, we have planned for my brother to either borrow or rent a car so we can drive around Sweden to visit a few places, now I'm getting worried!

Since Lars will be home late, we decided to have porridge for dinner. Mom offered to make dinner today (I guess she can't stand to be away from the kitchen for too long!). We made plain porridge, chicken with ginger in dark soya sauce and stir-fry celery with red bell pepper. These are the same dishes which I made before but today they taste different, they taste like mom. Yummy!

Day 4

Mom and I decided to go fetch the kids from school today. While we were waiting for them, Angel's teacher, Maria was outside with another group of kids playing. She saw us and walked over to say hi. She shook mom's hand and introduced herself. She also told mom that Angel has been talking about her visit and has told her that she can wait for June to be here. Mom was really embarrassed! ^_^ And of course I was the translator during their one-way conversation - Maria talking and mom just smiling! Mom was surprised that we can just walk into the school ground because in Singapore, schools are fenced all around and they even have security guards stationed at the entrances to stop outsiders from going in.

We had stroganoff for dinner tonight and mom likes it! I'm happy that she's willing to try new food.

No comments:

Post a Comment