We met quite often when I was picking up Ivan and she was bringing her son to school. (Ivan ends at 11am and her son starts from 11am.) Then we exchanged mobile phone numbers. She called one day to ask if it was alright for her to pop over for coffee, so she came with delicious home-baked coconut bread. We had a good time chatting. And I realised that my Mandarin is deteriorating due to lack of use! *slapping forehead*
Then we had another coffee time together which extended into dinner, which Shu Ping brought her ingredients, cooked and cleaned in MY home! I didn't need to do much to enjoy dinner! ^.^
She called me last week to ask if I want to go over to her place to make dumplings. I told her I was sick and I remained sick for the rest of the week... She called again on yesterday to ask if I was feeling better, which I wasn't and was in fact starting to have fever. So I told her I was having fever and bodyache all over and missing my mom.... (I know, I can be quite a baby sometimes! :p)
Then she sms me this morning to ask if I'm better. I told her that I'm feeling slightly better but still quite lousy in general. She asked if she can come by later. I told her sure but beware of germs! Then she popped by around lunch time, with these!
Home-brewed chicken soup, definitely good for the soul!!!
Taiwanese-style fried rice (炒油饭)which she made for the kids. She said that I may not have the appetite to eat but the kids need to eat properly. I'm so touch! It tastes almost like rice dumplings or lor mai kai (糯米鸡) - yum!
She also brought these chinese herbs for me to make some nourishing drinks when I'm feeling better, to help improve my "qi" (energy)! Her mom sent her these and she gave them to me!
When she appeared at my doorstep, wearing thick winter jacket, a hat, gloves and boots, carrying a pot of chicken soup and a bag. I was actually very surprised coz usually she'll bring some snacks or pastries to eat with the coffee (even though I told her many times that she doesn't have to, she still does.), but a pot?!
Then she walked into the kitchen and "unloaded" everything while telling me that I should drink the chicken soup now, cos it's still warm. And when she saw that I was making instand noodle for Ivan, she said,"Oh, I should have come earlier, then Ivan can have fried rice for lunch." Then she started telling me how to make the drink when I'm feeling better.... My eyes started welling up. She saw and asked, while looking very concerned,"Are you feeling very bad? It's ok, you can go rest now. I'm leaving." And she said bye and left!
For some time after that, I felt like crying everytime when I thought about what she just did for me. Being sick, I can't taste much. But when I was drinking the chicken soup, I could feel the warmth radiating from inside my body...
I don't think I deserve this, I am very very lucky to have real friends around me who truly cares. Like my friend Shareen who recently warmed up my heart by packing food for me coz I wasn't able to join them for the Deepavali gathering. They had a good time, but she still thought of me.
I think I must be doing something good. That's why the Big Boss upstairs is sending these good people my way and giving me a chance to brush up on my Mandarin at the same time! ^.^








No comments:
Post a Comment