Background

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Easy Bean Sprouts

Bean sprouts are dirt cheap back home in Singapore. You can get a big bunch for 20 cents. However here in Sweden, not only is it expensive (comparing to Singapore), it's not so fresh and makes only irregular appearance on the shelves in the supermarket. There is also a canned version of bean sprouts in the supermarket but those.... we'll not talk about it. *shaking head in disgust*

I've been here for 4 years now and haven't been having bean sprouts for a long time. Through a friend on FB, I saw that she was sprouting her own bean sprouts from a tea pot and they looked delicious! I was inspired to try sprouting some myself. My friend was very kind in sharing some tips with me to help me get it right. And it is so easy! I'm still amazed at how much I can get from the little effort I put in!

For those who are interested, here's how it's done.

I got a gingerbread biscuit box and poked some holes on the lid. (it's important to poke them big enough for water to flow out properly.)


It is important to get a box which is opaque and to allow minimum amount of light to go into the box when you put in the water, beans which are exposed to too much light tends to taste slightly bitter.

Next, I put in about 50ml of mung beans, washed them, picked out the bad ones and soaked them with water overnight, making sure that the water level is high enough to cover all the beans.

This is how they looked like after just 1 night. You can see small roots appearing already!


The next morning, I pour away the water and turn the box upside down to make sure that there is no water remaining inside, otherwise the beans will just start to rot.

During the evening, I soak the beans in water again and about 10 mins or more and pour out the water after that, turning the box upside down again.

I do the same every morning and evening, soaking the beans with water for about 10mins and pouring the water away, leaving the box upside down. Once in the morning, another time in the evening.

And after 5 days, this is what I get!


They are sweet and free of any chemicals! Thank you Meiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment