Thursday was my first driving lesson with hubby as my coach. We set off to a training area which is near our place. On the way there, the car skidded because it was so slippery. I started to get nervous and thought maybe this was not such a good idea. Maybe we should start lesson after snow has melted or even when spring arrives.
When we arrived, the area was dark. There wasn't any lighting and we were the only one there. Hubby stopped the car, jumped out and said,"Ok, this is it baby!" hm... don't people usually start the first lesson with introduction to the various parts of the car??? Anyway, we switched places and hubby asked me to look for the various pedals. Brake, clutch, accelerator, all checked. "Ok, drive." said hubby. "Huh? How?" "Well, like how you did it in Singapore." My goodness! The last time I took my driving lesson in Singapore was like donkey years ago! I tried to remember as best as I could and the car finally started rolling forward. I started breaking into a cold sweat...
The next hour was just a big confusion (at least that was how it was in my head!). "Position your car." "Which side should you be driving?" "Change to second gear." "Turn left." "Turn right." "You're driving into the ditch baby." "Should you be turning at second gear?" The whole time hubby peppered with "Good baby." "That's was very good." "You're doing good baby." to keep my confidence up.
There was a few times when the car skidded or the car wasn't moving forward because it was so slippery! Hubby took over the driver's seat at one point to show me how to do it properly, I relaxed immediately when I was in the passenger's seat. The next minute, hubby parked the car on a slope (not so steep but the car WILL roll backwards once the brake is off), got out and said,"Now you drive." So I had to start the car at a slope which makes me sweat more despite the fact that it was minus 4 degrees outside... Hubby taught me how to start the car on a slope using the handbrake. So I pulled up the handbrake, moved into first gear and started to release the clutch. "The car is not moving! It's too slippery!" I panicked. Hubby replied in his usual cool manner,"It probably will start to move forward if you release the handbrake." "Oh ok, that sounds like a good idea." I replied feeling like a complete idiot!!!
After several times of saying,"Maybe we should go home now? It's late." We ended our first lesson. Hubby gave me a hug when we were exchanging seats. Hubby smiled, "That was very good for being the first lesson baby, and you smell a little."
That was my first driving lesson.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








I did the same thing with the handbrake!! My hubby jokes about it eventhough this happened in 2003... and sigh.. still takut to take my license.
ReplyDelete