And braving the snow yesterday, I went back to school after 5 years. I signed up for a 3-month Japanese course because I needed to get out of the house, away from the kids and do something on my own, and also, I've always been interested in the Japanese culture and language. I attended Japanese course about 20 years ago when I was in the polytechnic. At that time, one foreign language (I think there was French, Japanese and German) was offered for free for business students, and since Japanese cartoons and tv series were ragingly popular then, I signed up for it. But now 20 years later, all I can remember from that course was the auntie-looking teacher with immaculately pressed clothes and extremely tight hair bun. She had a permanent scowl on her face and the only Japanese phrases I took away with me was "wakarimasen" ("I don't understand").... well, come to think of that, I was probably the only one she scowl at, since I always asked questions which were outside and way beyond what she was planning to teach (and most of the time very irrelevant as well....) and when she asked me something, most of the time I'd answer with "huh? wakarimasen...." ^.^
The first lesson was quite ok. We took turn introducing ourselves in Swedish and then about an hour into the class, we re-introduced ourselves in Japanese, nothing dramatic, everything was cool. My tongue just needs time to re-program itself to speak Japanese. Towards the end of our first lesson, the teacher distributed out our homework. Hiragana!!!! We have to learn 15 characters until next week and a lot of them looks like pretzels.... *groan* now I totally understand what Jovan and Angel are going through when they're learning new Chinese characters.....
When I got home, I had dinner (I made dinner before I went out) and got Ivan to sleep. Hubby was already home then. He had to come home earlier then usual (he's working late almost everyday... too bad I'm not technically-inclined in anyway, otherwise I can probably help him a little...) because I was going out. I know, I'm so lucky to have a considerate husband, who lets me get away with almost everything! And when Ivan finally fell asleep, hubby brought out gifts for me! I didn't expect that he'd go hunting for presents given his crazy schedule! And I received these!
The mug and book ("Start painting watercolor) are from hubby, thank you for always indulging me in whatever crazy hobby I have! The 2 cards are from Jovan. He wrote one (The red one) for me and signed it off as "hubby" and he wrote the other one for hubby and signed it off as "baby", so sweet! Although one look at the handwriting I knew they were from him, but the thought was very sweet! And Angel sewed the 2 small bags/pouches for me. Love the fabric!
I am blessed to be constantly surrounded by love and I am thankful for that everyday.
Happy Valentine's Day to all!










my dear, am glad u have another new thing to look forward to!! and u r upgrading yrself fr a full time housewife.. wahaha.. thou it'll b tiring but am sure the satisfaction and achievement 'FEEL' will override all the stress n tire :))
ReplyDeletenext time u can help Lars with Jap translation!! YippEE :)
Hahahahahaha! Not sure if I'll have the feeling of satisfaction and achievement, it's just a 3 months course for beginner! I think I'll leave the translation part to the experts! :P
DeleteI think it's awesome that you're taking up Japanese! It is a really great way to get your mind off house, kids and daily responsibilities. No matter how old we are, no matter where we are in life, it's important to do something for ourselves. What a lovely way to end the day as well. Can I introduce my sister to your blog? I think she can relate to you in many ways (as a mother and an expat)
ReplyDeleteYou're so right Mabs. And we should never stop learning, be it a new hobby, skill, language, anything! Especially me, once my brain stops getting stimulants from new knowledge, it starts to screw itself up big time! And that is why I am the way I am! :P
ReplyDeleteNo problem to introduce your sister to my blog, maybe she and I will have tips to share! I just hope my blog will not bore her to tears... :D
Aiyah if anyone stop getting stimulated, they will go bonkers lah. Not only you. But maybe it will affect us more than normal people lah. That's why we are the way we are right? LOL
DeleteBtw, is your blog still on private mode? Can't share with her if it is. :(
Hello.... are you saying that I'm abnormal now?! We're too unique lah, what to do? =D Go ahead and share my blog with your sis, maybe we can be friends as well!
DeleteWhat sweet Valentine's presents! You have a lovely family :D
ReplyDeleteAnd it's great that you are taking up Japanese again, is the course at Folkuniversitetet?
Thanks babe! Yup, the course is at Folkuniersitetet and the Japanese teacher is suspiciously familiar looking..... is she your friend or Lee Ti's friend? I think I saw her at Esther's baptism... her name is Erica Takane, ring any bell?
Deletehallo HayBee!!!!
ReplyDelete: )
You're really a super-super mom!
keeping it together and still finding time and effort to indulge in yourself! I don't even have half your discipline nor energy... sighs...
It's great to see pics of you and your family :)
especially you la, of course : )
*hugs*
玲
you disappeared on FB, and so happy to see you here Sylvia !!
ReplyDelete/Mei Ling :-)