Background

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chinese Name for Chris

Chris is 1 month plus now and it is time for me to finalise on a Chinese name for him. I used to be one of those annoying classmates who teased my friends if they have names which sound similar to something else or have double meaning(I was notorious for giving others nicknames.... those were the days...), so it is very important for me to give my children names which they won't be teased about.

Sometimes I come across names which makes me think what their parents were thinking of when they name their children. I used to have a classmate when I was in primary school (primary 1 I think) and her name was Cha Bo, which literally means "woman" in teochew or hokkien (dialects)! Luckily her surname is not "Xiao", otherwise she'd be one crazy woman! I hope she has changed her name now. I've also came across someone whose name is Monica Cheng. I think she was one of the applicants for a job vacancy. My colleague and I had a good laugh over it 'coz it sounded like "Feel your backside" in teochew or hokkien! I also had a classmate named Daniel Tan and I always called him 大鸟蛋 because it sounded like "big bird egg" in Chinese! I think that was why he always avoided me in school... I even gave my best friend, whom I knew since we were 13yrs old, a nickname which stuck with her till now!

Naming children is a very difficult task. Not only must the name suit the baby (which you'll know once you've seen the baby, if you know what I mean...), it has to be meaningful, sounds nice and most important of all, it must not have double meaning in any languages. Hubby told me before once he had a meeting with some Taiwanese guys and one of them introduced himself as F**k you (I think it must be his Chinese name which is probably "Fang You" or something) and hubby was stunned for a few minutes before realising that that was his name and he wasn't being offensive! He also met a "Dick" once and agreed that that wasn't a nice name.

All our kids names are carefully thought through and decided. Jovan is my first baby and I was thankful, so his name means "God is gracious", thank God for this wonderful gift. My second pregnancy turns out to be a girl. I was thrilled that God sends me one of his little angels, so she is named Angelina, which means little angel. Many years later, I married a wonderful man, who loves kids (he told me again just last night!). After the medical issue I had, we were doubtful if we would have any. We tried in vain for many months and just when I had given up hope, miracle happened! So Ivan's name also means "God is gracious" (can't thank God enough for all the wonderful gifts!) and this time round, we had to make sure that this name works in Swedish as well and Ivan works great. And with Chris, we had 2 names in mind, Michael and Christopher. The minute he was out, hubby knew that he'll be Christopher, which means "He who has Christ in his heart", keep the faith my friends and He will answer!

Oh, I'm so off-tracked! Suppose to be talking about Chris's Chinese name but ended up babbling about English names! I had a post on the Chinese names for Jovan, Angel and Ivan, so I won't repeat myself again. This time I already had a name in mind before Chris arrived. I have decided to name him "劭齐". 劭 remains the same as what Jovan and Ivan has and 齐 means together. God's little angels all arrive and gather together in our house!

陈劭齐,妈妈希望你健康快乐的成长! 你,你姐姐和你哥哥们都是妈妈永远的宝贝!

1 comment: